Tuesday, September 7, 2010

You can't judge a book.

I have some family members who have struggled with drug abuse and alcoholism, and I admit that I have been very judgemental, and less than Christian in my attitude about that. And I have been very angry toward people who have personally hurt ME because of it. Having had numerous surgeries, and health trials in my life, I developed a very "pious" attitude, because,, "It would be understandable if I were to abuse pain killers, but I don't understand how YOU can."
Recently, however, I have gone thorough one of the hardest trials with a migraine. NOTHING that was prescribed by a Dr. legally, has helped much. And I had one Dr. tell me she wouldn't prescribe anything else for me because she didn't want to give me too many narcotics. And I don';t even have a history of drug abuse. I admit that I have even "defied" my Dr.s orders by talking more than prescribed, or taking it a while before I am supposed to take the next dose. Simply because I just want SOMETHING to take the pain away. I have a new understanding for people who suffer chronic pain. After 2 weeks, I am at the point where I can't put a single thought or a sentence together, I forget things, (More than I normally do) and I am so emotional (Also more than normal!) , just because I want, no NO, NEED, the pain to STOP! I have a job, a household and 2 kids to take care of, and my husband and kids have been taking care of ME for almost 3 weeks.I now know that chronic pain is unbearable, and you just want it to stop. The brain does some really desperate things when it can't function properly with good sleep, and no pain. So this is my personal apology to anyone who I may have thought bad about in the past. I understand. And I am now in your shoes. Please think before you judge someone who seems to have a problem. You NEVER know what has gone on behind the scenes.

No comments: